Culhane Meadows’ Interactive Entertainment practice group provides cost-effective legal services to the video game industry. Our standards, experience and depth of knowledge meet or exceed those found at large traditional law firms. Culhane Meadows’ attorneys have an extensive understanding of the interactive entertainment industry and thus are able to advise our clients in all aspects of law involving interactive games, from the creation or acquisition of intellectual property to the worldwide distribution of a finished product. We assist developers, publishers, distributors, platform manufacturers, and all others involved in this industry, for games that are played online, on consoles, PCs, mobile devices or social platforms such as Facebook.
Culhane Meadows’ attorneys advise clients in transactions of all types and sizes with respect to the creation, acquisition, licensing, development, manufacturing, marketing, sales, distribution and exploitation of interactive entertainment.
Representative experience includes:
- In-house counsel for a major video game publisher
- Structuring, drafting and negotiating of all forms of agreements related to interactive entertainment, including: development agreements, content license agreements, publishing agreements, distribution agreements (both traditional and digital), marketing agreements (including licensing dynamic in-game advertising), online hosting agreements, technology and middleware agreements, and first party licenses with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo
- Negotiating, drafting and closing multiple studio and content acquisition transactions, as well as joint ventures, and in performing related due diligence
- Obtaining, protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights
- Establishing overseas publishing / distribution operations (through holding companies and special subsidiaries) throughout Europe, Latin America and Asia Pacific and establishing IP holding company
- Entity formation, finance, securities and general corporate matters
- Advising clients regarding international, U.S., and state data security and privacy regulations and standards
- Counseling clients regarding compliance with regulations such as anti-trust regulations, truth-in-advertising rules, Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule, and the Telemarketing Sales Rule
- Contests, promotions, sweepstakes and giveaways
Whether establishing new interactive entertainment ventures, financing new or existing business, expanding existing operations or dealing with issues that arise in the course of business, our Interactive Entertainment Group can help guide your business.