At Culhane Meadows, we are proud to offer our clients a leading cross-disciplinary team of attorneys who offer a comprehensive range of services to the life settlement industry. The members of the life settlements practice group represent leadership in the practice areas of tax, corporate finance and securities, securitization and structured finance, litigation, insurance and regulatory. We provide counsel in all aspects of licensing, acquisitions, premium finance and fund structuring to commercial banks, hedge funds, investment banks and other financing entities, and life settlement brokers and providers in connection with structuring, negotiating and executing numerous domestic and international life settlement transactions.
Our attorneys have been able to establish a unique approach to the Life Settlements Practice because they have developed a thorough understanding of the industry’s unique characteristics. Members of our Life Settlements team have been involved with drafting the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and National Conference of Insurance Legislators model acts, and have met with numerous insurance departments across the country in order to help shape legislation on a state-by-state basis. Our team has researched a variety of legal and regulatory issues related to life settlements, including insurable interest, contestability, privacy laws, securities, HIPAA, choice of law, premium finance, tax, consumer finance laws, usury and life settlement laws.
As a result of our market-leading knowledge, we are well positioned to help ensure our clients successfully achieve their goals.
Our Attorneys’ Representative Life Settlements Transactions:
- Closed deals for several hundred million dollars for purchase of life settlements for international funds.
- Negotiated origination, financing and service agreements for providers’ hedge funds, closed-end funds and mutual funds.
- Assisted provider companies with obtaining licensure and forms approval in every state.
- Structure recourse and non-recourse premium finance programs.
- Prepare private placement memoranda for equity raises.
- Structure international funds for investments in life settlements.
- Provide tax structuring advice in connection with structuring international funds.
- Structure stop-loss program for use in life settlement transactions.
- Provide advice in connection with privacy and Graham-Leach-Bliley compliance issues.