We represent those companies who provide financial services to consumers, as well as their service providers and associated companies.
Our Consumer Financial Services team consists of attorneys whose experience combines careers at federal consumer regulatory agencies with years of representation of Consumer Financial Services providers. The types of providers covered include non-bank lenders, credit card issuers, payment processors, payday lenders, financial companies, debt collectors, debt buyers and others.
The Consumer Financial Services team regularly represents these companies in investigations and enforcement actions by state and federal government agencies enforcing the FTC Act, the Consumer Financial Bureau statute, TILA and Reg Z, HOEPA, ECOA, FCRA, FDCPA, RESPA, EFTA, TCPA, ESIGN and others. We are constantly monitoring the emerging law involving consumer information privacy and data security, such as the new California Consumer Protection Act.
Among other matters, the Consumer Financial Services team handles:
- Serving as expert witness in a conflict between a debt buyer and portfolio seller.
- Representation of debt collectors and debt buyers sued by private plaintiffs, as well as government enforcement actions.
- Defending advertisers charged with false advertising and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Creating compliance programs for lenders of all kinds.
- Compliance program audits for all manner of consumer financial services providers.