Win Colbert is a broadly experienced lawyer and strategic business partner with a practice encompassing all areas of environmental, health and safety law, as well as corporate and business counseling, and government/regulatory relations. He has a record of contribution to the success of clients, including highly admired, world class companies. Mr. Colbert advocates a “problem-solving” philosophy and approach in support of clients goals and interests by (1) anticipating and managing legal and business risks, (2) understanding financial planning, objectives and goals, (3) defending and proactively promoting client interests, and (4) working with management and staff as an advisor, sounding board and legal counsel.
Mr. Colbert has extensive experience in multiple jurisdictions with the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Toxic Substances Control Act and similar state laws, as well as REACH, the European Community Regulation on chemicals and their safe use.
In addition, Mr. Colbert has more than 20 years of in-house legal experience with Exxon Company, USA, Mobil Chemical Company, TXU Electric & Gas Company, and most recently as chief attorney for Global Environmental, Health & Safety Law for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.
Mr. Colbert also has extensive experience representing clients before federal, state and local regulatory agencies and the judiciary, and with the media and community groups. He has worked with clients in order determine how to best position and present clients in the legislative and regulatory processes. Mr. Colbert’s expertise has been enhanced by extensive non-profit board leadership. He is a practiced negotiator who has been able to balance legal and business knowledge with a clear understanding of group process and individual motivations in order to achieve solutions and resolutions.
Mr. Colbert has also provided advice and counsel with respect to environmental, safety and health compliance, regulatory and remedial requirements in European Union, Middle East, Asia and Latin America countries. He has provided numerous presentations covering environmental and government/regulatory relations to legal and bar groups (such as ABA, National Bar Association, Association of Corporate Counsel, and local bar associations), business organizations (Chambers of Commerce and other economic development organizations), and city governments.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Greater Houston Partnership
- Regional Economic Development Committee (2012 – 2014)
- Clean Air Subcommittee (2012 – 2014)
- Houston Bar Association
- Environmental Law Section; Board of Directors (2012 – 2014)
- World Affairs Council of Houston – Member (2012 – 2014)
- American Bar Association
- Standing Committee on Professional Discipline (Past Member)
- Coordinating Group on Energy Law (Past Member)
- National Bar Association
- Vice President (Past)
- Past Chair, Energy & Environmental Law Section
- Past Chair, Real Estate & Probate Law Section
- Past Chair, Ethics & Professional Responsibility Committee
- State of Texas – Clean Air Responsibility Enterprise Committee, Vice Chair (1997-98)
- State Bar of Texas – Past Member, Environmental & Natural Resource Law Executive Committee
- North Texas Commission – Past Member, Board of Directors
- North Texas Clean Air Coalition – Past Chairman
- North Central Texas Council of Governments, Air Quality Advisory Committee – Past Member
- Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce
- Past Member of Executive Committee & Board of Directors
- Inaugural Chairman, Environment Committee
- Fort Worth Economic Development Corporation – Past Chairman
Awards & Recognitions
- National Association of Development Companies—Board Member of the Year
- National Bar Association—Energy & Environmental Law Award; Presidential Award
- Tarrant County Black Bar Association—Outstanding Lawyer of the Year
Win enjoys spending time with family (wife, Denise, 4 siblings, 3 children and 8 grandchildren), travelling to the Caribbean and other sun/beach locales, and reading (he is an avid fan of Tom Clancy, Michael Connelly, John Sandford and John Grisham). He and Denise go dancing whenever possible. Win is a fan of R&B, Blues and Jazz, but his favorite bands of all time are The Beatles & The Grateful Dead.