Ms. Connolly is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office where she focuses her practice in the area of domestic and international labor and employment. She provides day to day advice and counsel to multinational companies, conducts enterprise risk assessments, compliance audits, internal investigations, as well as provides training for management and employees on employment law, leave laws, anti-discrimination and harassment, diversity, and domestic and international labor and employment law compliance.
Ms. Connolly regularly represents clients in matters that arise under the ADA, ADEA, ERISA, FCRA, FCPA, FLSA, FMLA, NLRA, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, USERRA, WARN, and various state wage and hour, and discrimination laws. She routinely counsels clients on “best practices” involving hiring processes, discipline and dismissals, reductions in force and other expense reduction measures, disabilities, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, employee privacy, drug testing and employee searches. Ms. Connolly also assists clients with employee applications, offer letters, employment and executive contracts, handbooks and policies, at-will agreements, non-compete agreements, confidentiality and proprietary information agreements, separation and release agreements, secondment agreements, key employee retention agreements, services agreements, and other employment-related documents. Recognized by LexisNexis as one of their respected practice advisor authors, Ms. Connolly has received the highest possible AV Preeminent® Rating in the Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory based on peer review by lawyers and judges.
Ms. Connolly also regularly assists clients in providing advice and counseling on domestic and cross-border transaction issues involved in mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, outsourcing, and privacy transactions, as well as post-acquisition integration, global audits, and global codes of conduct. Other areas of law in which she counsels clients include:
- Affirmative Actions
- Employee Hiring/Discipline/Termination
- Employment Agreements
- Handbooks and Personnel Policies
- Harassment Investigation and Training
- Health & Safety Regulations/OSHA
- Leaves of Absence
- Wage and Hour Regulations
- Workplace Violence
- Unfair Competition and Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour Regulations
- Workplace Violence
- Labor & Employment Issues in Domestic and International Transactions (Outsourcing, M&A, Reorganizations, Post-Acquisition Integration)
- Labor Law – Union/Management Relations
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised on domestic and international employment issues related to divestiture of data protection business for client involving 475 employees and 29 international jurisdictions.
- Provided labor and employment advice to global manufacturing company in connection with $1.2 billion acquisition of a food and beverage industry packaging company.
- Identified and quantified risks to provide best practice advice on employment issues triggered by the divestment of two newly acquired companies with net sales of approximately $100 million.
- Assisted a global supplier of telecommunications networking equipment, software and services with employment issues associated with the transfer of employees to several countries in connection with the client’s $770 million asset purchase of a hard asset technology company.
- Advised a Fortune 50 banking and financial services corporation on a 50-country global employment audit involving multiple business lines.
- Advised a Fortune 100 Company on a 50-state Department of Labor audit.
- Advised security service company on its standardization and implementation strategy of non-compete and non-solicit agreements in nearly all 50 states.
- Successfully defended appeal of Title VII action claiming reverse race discrimination in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained jury verdict of $2.3 million in defamation trial.
- Editor, “Zero Tolerance: Best Practices for Combating Sex-Based Harassment in the Legal Profession,” American Bar Association’s Commission on Women in the Profession 2017.
- Contributing author to LexisNexis’ Lexis Practice Advisor® Outsourcing module, September 2016
- Contributing Author of Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook, Thomson Reuters 2015
“New for 2015 Illinois Laws: What Employers Should Know,” Illinois Business Leader, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, March 2015
Chapter Editor of the Midwinter Meeting Report of the Fair Labor Standards Act Subcommittee to the ABA Committee on Federal Labor Standards Legislation, 2015
“Records and Information Management Programs,” Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago Newsletter No. 140, April 2014
“Mexican Federal Labor Law Reform: What Companies Doing Business in Mexico Need to Know,” Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago Newsletter No. 132, June 2013
“The Amended Mexican Federal Labor Law: Five Changes Employers Should Consider Now,” Bloomberg BNA, April 25, 2013
Social Media and The Workplace,” Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago No. 123, June 2012
Contributing Author of International Labour and Employment Compliance Handbook, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2012
Contributing Author of The Human Resources Compliance Manual: An Employment Law Guide for Employers in the United States, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011 and 2012
Chapter Editor of the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Age Discrimination in Employment Law 2011 Cumulative Supplement, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011
Contributing Author of Employment and Labour Laws and Regulation in the United States – A New Era of Government Enforcement and Employer Compliance: Workplace
Harassment and Pre-employment Testing chapters, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011
Contributing Author of the Midwinter Meeting Report of the Fair Labor Standards Act Subcommittee to the ABA Committee on Federal Labor Standards Legislation, 2010 – 2012
Legal Guide for Brazilian Companies Doing Business in the U.S., 2010
“The ADA Amendments Act of 2008,” The Global Employer, January 2009
- “The ADA: Accommodating Mental Health Issues in the Workplace,” Chicago Bar Association October 4, 2016 and December 4, 2018
“Reviewing and Drafting an Effective Employee Handbook,” Chicago Bar Association, October 8, 2014
“Employment and Immigration Compliance Issues for International Corporations in the United States,” September 14, 2014
“Best Practices for Workplace Records Retention/Destruction,” May 22, 2014
“Global Trends in the Workplace,” April 22, 2014
“International Background Checks in the Global Workplace,” November 19, 2013
“Records Retention – Creating, Maintaining & Deleting Your Company’s Business and Personnel Records,” October 10, 2013
“International Employment Law Basics,” October 5, 2013
“The Amended Mexican Federal Labor Law: Changes Employers Should Consider Now,” March 21, 2013
“Four More Years: Are you ready for President Obama’s second term?” January 10, 2013
“Year in Review for U.S. Employers,” December 6, 2012
“Do’s and Don’ts of Hiring in the U.S.,” November 28, 2012
“Global Transactions: Avoiding HR Nightmares in Cross-Border Transactions,” November 8, 2012
“Social Media: Risks and Rewards,” Japan In-House Counsel Network, Tokyo, Japan, October 11, 2012
“Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions,” May 24, 2012
“Domestic and International Do’s and Don’ts of Employment Agreements and Offer Letters,” June 7, 2012
“Social Media and the Workplace: Employer Challenges with Networking Sites and Privacy,” Foreign Women Lawyers’ Association, Tokyo, Japan, April 2, 2012
“Doing Business Globally: Labor and Employment Issues in Cross-Border M&A Transactions,” November 17, 2011
“The Hiring Process: What Every Employer Needs to Know,” November 15, 2011 and September 6, 2012
“Effectively Managing Employee Absence, Illness, Injuries and Time Off,” Health Care Reform and Other New Realities Facing Healthcare Industry Employers seminar, June 25, 2010
- Consulted by and quoted in “Viewpoint: How to Respond to an Employee’s Serious Illness,” June 5, 2018, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) magazine.
- “More Scrutiny Seen for Non-compete Agreements” May 5, 2017, Bloomberg BNA Daily Labor Report. Terese was consulted and quoted in an article about the increasing scrutiny that legislatures and courts are placing on employee noncompete agreements.
- “Your Employee is Injured at Work–Now What?” April 10, 2017, Insureon. She was consulted by and quoted in an insurance trade publication about risk mitigation for employers. Her interview was posted on the Insureon Blog.
- Human Resource Executive Online consults Terese on “Pulling the Plug on Lifetime Benefits” March 30, 2017. She was interviewed on the Fletcher v. Honeywell International decision where the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio ruled that Honeywell wrongly denied lifetime healthcare benefits to some retirees.
- Insurance Journal consults Terese on Non-Compete and Poaching Lawsuit, March 27, 2017. She was interviewed by the national trade publication concerning her insights about ongoing litigation over a non-compete and employee poaching lawsuit.
- “What They Don’t Tell You in Law School: Real Talk on Women in the Law,” ABA’s Commission on Women Program
April 8, 2015
- Live Webcast: “Hiring and Firing a Global Workforce: What Keeps Every Employer Up at Night?” July 16, 2013
- “What Keeps You Up at Night?” Hot Topics in Domestic & International Labor & Employment Law, June 21, 2013
- “What NY Employers Should Know About New Harassment Regulations,” November 15, 2018
- “7th Circuit Recognizes Sex Orientation in Historic Title VII Case: Time to Update Your Handbook Policies and Training?” April 10, 2017, Culhane Meadows News Blog
- “The Supreme Court Decides Mach Mining LLC vs. EEOC: A “Win” For Employers?” May 7, 2015
- “New Illinois Laws in 2015: What Employers Should Know,” April 2, 2015
- “This Past Quarter’s Notable, International Employment Law Changes And What To Look For Down the Road: Belgium,” March 21, 2014
- “Minimum Wage in Mexico,” March 21, 2014
- “What To Look For Down The Road: France,” March 21, 2014
- “China Enacts New Employment Law Affecting Employers Who Do Not Directly Employ Their Workers,” May 29, 2013
- “Mexican Federal Labor Law Reform: What Companies Doing Business in Mexico Need to Know,” May 15, 2013
When not practicing law, Terese enjoys practicing her flying trapeze skills, playing beach volleyball, scuba diving, scrapbooking, traveling the world and spending time with her family and friends.