Susan J. Macaulay focuses her practice on commercial transactions and corporate matters, including banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions, leases, contracts, licenses and other business agreements, and corporate governance. She is the author of a number of books and articles addressing various topics involving transactional and finance law, and has spoken at many conferences on both a local and a national level.
Her experience includes serving clients at Skadden Arps, a global New York-based law firm , and as a partner, group leader, and opinion committee chair of a large Chicago-based firm. She has also held in-house positions that include Associate General Counsel of Heller Financial, Inc., General Counsel of ArcVentures, Inc., and Vice President and Corporate Counsel of CVS/Caremark International, Inc.
While Ms. Macaulay was attending law school, she was the Executive Editor of the Loyola Law Journal, a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law, and a member of Alpha Sigma Nu honor society.
Awards & Recognitions
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer (a Thomson Reuters service) by Law & Politics magazine (2006 – present)
- Named a Leading Lawyer (in Corporate Finance and Bankruptcy & Workout: Commercial Creditor/Debtor) by Law Bulletin Publishing (2005-2009)
- Listed in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law, Who’s Who of American Women, Who’s Who in the World (2005-2008)
Selected Presentations & Publications
- “Understanding Contracts,” Straight from the Top: Lessons from Leading Corporate Lawyers, ExecuSense (January 7, 2013), available on Amazon Digital Services.
- Speaker: “The 10 Most Important Developments in 2009 for Banking Lawyers,” ExecuSense Webinar
- Speaker: “Operational Risk & Servicing for ABS, ABCP, MBS & CDOs” (October 2005, New York City).
- “Mitigating Risk Through Interest Rate Swaps,” GCD Real Estate Update (Fall 2005).
- “The Bankrupt Originator – No Time to Panic,” Global Securitisation and Structured Finance 2005 (Global White Pages).
- Speaker: “Successor Servicing Issues,” American Bankers’ Association Capital Markets Forum (April 2005).
- “Deciphering the Deal,” Securitization News, Vol. III, No. 5 (Feb. 7, 2005).
- Corporate Trust Committee Comments on SEC Proposed Rulemaking Regarding Disclosure for ABS Transactions,” coauthored with Harold L. Kaplan, Network News column, ABA (American Bankers Association) Trust & Investments, November/December 2004.
- “US: The Role of the Securitisation Trustee,” Global Securitsation and Structured Finance 2004 (Global White Pages).
- “Financial Syndications and Loan Scandals: Will Litigation Over Corporate Fraud Impact the Willingness of Investment Banks to Engage in the Syndication of Loans?” Andrews Bank & Liability Rep. Vol. 9 Iss. 16 (2004).
- Speaker: “Securitization Servicing/Administrative Failures – Lessons from What Went Wrong,” Premier Forum on Servicing and Administration for Debt Capital Markets (November 2003, New York City and March 2004, San Francisco).
Susan has provided many hours of pro bono work to the National Immigrant Justice Center and the Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights on juvenile asylum matters. She has also served on the board of directors of The Theraplay Institute, and the Chicago Opera Theater. Her undergraduate degree was in Piano Performance and she serves in the Chicago Bar Association Orchestra as a piano soloist and percussionist.