A highly accomplished transactional lawyer, effective negotiator and seasoned business adviser, Mr. Shapiro focuses his practice in three areas:
Technology and IT Contracting: Mr. Shapiro has extensive experience in technology contracting and transactions, both on the provider side, as a General Counsel of a technology vendor, and on the procurement side, representing numerous purchasers of technology and technology consulting. He quickly sizes up all of the risks to and benefits for a company, using his practicality and extensive business knowledge. He then leverages his market knowledge, creativity and negotiating skills to complete contracts that work best for his client’s particular situation and business needs.
Adviser to Special Committees of Boards of Directors: Boards of Directors sometimes need to appoint a Special Committee to assess transactions where there is a potential conflict of interest, a company is faced with a class action or derivative action lawsuit or a company needs to conduct an internal investigation. When this occurs, Mr. Shapiro’s extensive experience as a former public company General Counsel enables him to ramp up quickly and provide the necessary expertise. In addition, his experience allows him to work seamlessly with the entire Board as well as existing counsel and other company advisors.
Outside General Counsel for Financial Institutions: Many financial institutions and their legal counsel have trouble keeping up with the amount of regulation that they are confronted with. As a former General Counsel of two publicly traded bank holding companies, the Boards of Directors, executives, managers and counsel of Mr. Shapiro’s bank and financial institution clients can just “plug and play me” on a broad range of regulatory, lending, technology and contracting matters.
- Sale of $30 million internet company
- Rewrote and negotiated SaaS agreement for a superregional bank’s largest software vendor
- Negotiated all software licensing and consulting agreements for one of the U.S. largest mall operators
- Numerous secured lending financings, ranging in size up to $50 million
- $25 million rights offering for technology consulting company
- Advised Special Committee of Board for financial institution in a series of convertible preferred stock financings
- Most trusted adviser on technology contracts for national consumer finance company
Selected Presentations, Publications & Features
Mr. Shapiro has written several articles, made numerous presentations and has spoken nationally on a wide range of topics, including the following:
- Featured in Corporate Secretary Magazine, “Who’s Judging the Corporate Governance Awards”
- Podcast Interview, “Hiring Outside Counsel,” on TheCorporateCounsel.net
- Featured in lead article in May 2016 NIRI Update, “Cybersecurity 101 for the IRO”
- Speaker, NIRI Chicago Chapter, “Safety in Numbers: Cybersecurity 101 for the IRO” 2016
- Panelist, PLI’s Pocket MBA, “Insights from the Audit Committee”
- Speaker, The Law Project, “Board Roles and Responsibilities”
- Moderator, “Records Management and Privacy Issues”
- Speaker, Cybersecurity Threats and Legal Obligations”
- Speaker and Founder “Cybersecurity Preparedness for 2016”
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity for the General Counsel”
- Quoted in “How Can More Lawyers Become Tech Company CEOs” on IPWatchdog.com
- Created and Founded “Doing Deals” Seminar for PLI, 1995-Present
Awards & Recognitions
- Illinois Super Lawyer (a Thomson Reuters service) as published in Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2017)
- “Top Attorneys in Illinois” as published in Chicago Magazine
- Corporate Governance Professional of the Year, Corporate Secretary magazine (November 2010)
- Member of team nominated for Chairman’s Award, FMC Corporation (2001)
Steve loves to spend time with his family. He is a lifelong fan of the San Francisco Giants, a Masters swimmer and a former marathoner and triathlete. He loves music, has started learning about classical music and opera and is a fan of classic rock, particularly the Beatles and The Boss (Bruce Springsteen). A voracious reader, Steve has read every Stephen King book.