Steve Shapiro is a highly accomplished transactional lawyer, skillful negotiator and seasoned business adviser dedicated to fulfilling his clients’ legal needs and minimizing their legal risk using his extensive experience, creativity and practical approach.
Before returning to private practice, Mr. Shapiro was an award-winning General Counsel and known for his effective collaboration with diverse internal working groups and departments, his leadership and his responsiveness.
At Culhane Meadows PLLC, Mr. Shapiro focuses his practice in the following areas:
Technology and IT Contracting
Mr. Shapiro has extensive experience in technology contracting and related transactions, both on the provider side, as a General Counsel and outside counsel to technology vendors, and on the procurement side, having represented numerous purchasers of technology and technology consulting. He quickly sizes up the risks to and benefits for a company in any potential business proposal, using his practicality and real-world business knowledge. He then leverages his market expertise, creativity and negotiating skills to efficiently complete contracts that best suit his client’s particular situation and business needs.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Named as an Illinois Super Lawyer for M&A for the last 7 years by Super Lawyer magazine, Mr. Shapiro completes M&A transactions efficiently and collegially. He has represented publicly traded companies, start-ups, banks, investment banks, venture capitalists, strategic buyers and private equity funds in numerous types of sophisticated deals in a broad range of industries. His in-house background enables him to quickly grasp his clients’ business need as well as their legal priorities, and his breadth of experience enables him to identify and implement comprehensive solutions for all of the client’s interests and needs.
Financing and Securities Transactions
Mr. Shapiro also has extensive experience in completing financing and securities transactions. He has worked on a wide range of public and private securities offerings, venture capital financings and lending transactions from small asset-based and working capital loans to multi-million dollar syndicated loans. As a former General Counsel to publicly traded banks, he has a deep understanding of banks, their operations and their overall approach to lending.
- Sale of $30 million internet company
- Rewrote and negotiated SaaS agreement for a superregional bank’s largest software vendor
- Purchase of internet platform
- Negotiated all software licensing and consulting agreements for one of the U.S. largest mall operators
- Numerous secured lending financings, ranging in size up to $100 million
- $25 million rights offering for technology consulting company
- Created forms for a start-up data analytics platform
- Advised Special Committee of Board of Directors of a financial institution in a series of convertible preferred stock financings
Selected Presentations, Publications & Features
Mr. Shapiro has written several articles, made numerous presentations and has spoken nationally on a wide range of topics, including the following:
- Featured in Corporate Secretary Magazine, “Who’s Judging the Corporate Governance Awards”
- Podcast Interview, “Hiring Outside Counsel,” on TheCorporateCounsel.net
- Featured in lead article in May 2016 NIRI Update, “Cybersecurity 101 for the IRO”
- Speaker, NIRI Chicago Chapter, “Safety in Numbers: Cybersecurity 101 for the IRO” 2016
- Panelist, PLI’s Pocket MBA, “Insights from the Audit Committee”
- Speaker, The Law Project, “Board Roles and Responsibilities”
- Moderator, “Records Management and Privacy Issues”
- Speaker, Cybersecurity Threats and Legal Obligations”
- Speaker and Founder “Cybersecurity Preparedness for 2016”
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity for the General Counsel”
- Quoted in “How Can More Lawyers Become Tech Company CEOs” on IPWatchdog.com
- Created and Founded “Doing Deals” Seminar for PLI, 1995-Present
Awards & Recognitions
- Illinois Super Lawyer (a Thomson Reuters service) as published in Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2018)
- “Top Attorneys in Illinois” as published in Chicago Magazine
- Corporate Governance Professional of the Year, Corporate Secretary magazine (November 2010)
- Member of team nominated for Chairman’s Award, FMC Corporation (2001)
Steve loves to spend time with his family. He is a Masters swimmer and a former marathoner and triathlete. He loves music, has started learning about classical music and opera and is a fan of classic rock, particularly the Beatles and The Boss (Bruce Springsteen). A voracious reader, Steve has read every Stephen King book.