Richard Krantz focuses his practice on a broad range of securities transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters.
Mr. Krantz represents issuers and underwriters in both public and private securities offerings of debt and equity, acquisitions, mergers, restructurings, and joint ventures. He has represented both investors and issuers in structuring, negotiating, and documenting various series and classes of debt and equity securities. Mr. Krantz has handled numerous complex, multi-million dollar transactions, such as representing a leading manufacturer of high-efficiency ultraclean fuel cell power plants in a public offering of 22 million shares of common stock. Mr. Krantz represents the treasurer of the State of Connecticut as trustee for the state’s retirement plans and trust funds, a role which includes handling investments and performing all necessary due diligence and document preparation.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mr. Krantz regularly assists clients from various industries with merger and acquisition transactions, and he has handled numerous high-value cases during his career. Mr. Krantz represented a manufacturer of processing equipment for the rubber and plastics industries in its sale to a German buyer. When a private biotech company sought to sell, Mr. Krantz provided representation for the transaction and assisted with the evaluation of competing offers. The biotech business ultimately sold for over $100 million.
Mr. Krantz’s practice also includes general corporate matters, including franchises, distributorships, financings, spin-offs, and rights offerings. Mr. Krantz’s corporate clients include private companies of all sizes and emerging companies. In that respect, he has guided companies through formation, capital raising, and reorganizations. He has counseled management and boards of directors both through ordinary operational issues and with respect to unusual transactional matters. In addition, Mr. Krantz represents public companies regarding their reporting and disclosure obligations and other regulatory requirements. Mr. Krantz’s clients regard him as one of their team because he is able to understand and relate to their challenges, obstacles, strengths, and weaknesses.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the State of Connecticut in the area of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions since 2012
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© as Stamford Lawyer of the Year in the area of Securities Regulation for 2013
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Securities/Capital Markets Law since 2012, Securities Regulation from 2012 to 2015, and the areas of Securities Law and Corporate Law for 2010 and 2011
During a career spanning more than four decades, Mr. Krantz has serviced clients of various sizes across multiple industries, including –
- Led a team of lawyers in a $241 million public offering of common stock of a major fuel cell developer and manufacturer. The offering was underwritten by Merrill Lynch & Co. He continues to represent the issuer in a wide range of corporate, securities, and general commercial matters.
- Represented a New York Stock Exchange company involved in a $70 million infusion of private equity from a venture capital fund. The transaction involved regulatory approvals, securities law issues, and extensive contractual negotiations.
- In charge of an $80 million cross-border acquisition of a NASDAQ National Market company, which involved lawyers in the securities, antitrust, tax, intellectual property, ERISA, labor, environmental, and real estate specialties in the firm.
- Represented administrative agent and syndicate of lenders in connection with $200 million revolving and term-loan facility to fund a “going private” transaction, a dissenting shareholder reserve and working capital needs, secured by real property located throughout the United States and a blanket lien on all other assets.
- Represented the treasurer of the State of Connecticut as trustee for the State’s retirement plans and trust funds. Handled a series of investments in various equity/hedge funds on the State’s behalf, most recently, a $40 million investment in a private equity fund. Services include performing due diligence and negotiating and drafting documents.
- Represented Farrel Corporation, a manufacturer of processing equipment for primarily the rubber and plastics industries, in its sale to a German buyer.
- Representation of Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds concerning Audax Mezzanine Fund III, L.P. Robinson & Cole provided legal due diligence documentation and negotiated the terms of the limited partnership agreements, subscription documents, and side letters.
- Representation of Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds concerning an investment in RFE Investment Partners VII, L.P. The investment required a $40 million commitment by the treasurer on behalf of the Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds.
- Representation of Connecticut treasurer’s office in the purchase of a limited partner interest in Court Square Capital Partners II, L.P., on behalf of the Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds. The investment required a $100 million commitment by the treasurer on behalf of the Connecticut Retirement Plans and Trust Funds in a newly formed Delaware limited partnership developed to identify and invest primarily in U.S.-based middle-market companies. The newly formed partnership seeks to generate significant long-term capital appreciation primarily through private equity and equity-related investments in companies in a variety of transactions.
- Representation of RiverOak Investment Corp., LLC, in establishing four separate real estate investment funds. Each of the funds was formed to invest in real estate construction or development projects. Concerning that representation, Robinson & Cole helped negotiate and draft all of the operative documents, including operating agreements, subscription materials, investor documentation, guarantees and indemnities, and related agreements. We were also responsible for the related federal and state regulatory compliance efforts and were involved in every aspect of creation, offering, maintenance, and continuing regulatory compliance with each of the funds. Those offerings aggregated in excess of $75 million.
- Representation of Unimin Corporation, a producer of nonmetallic industrial minerals, in the acquisition of two plants producing resin-coated sand in Louisiana and Arkansas.
- Representation of a publically-held franchisor of fast-casual restaurants related to an exchange offer to retire debentures in exchange for preferred stock and a related private placement of preferred stock.
- Representation of a special committee of the board of directors of a privately-held, development-stage biotech company related to evaluating competing offers from major pharmaceuticals for acquiring the company. The company was sold with a purchase price of more than $100 million, the majority as an upfront payment and the remaining based on clinical development progress.
- Representation of a national bank in the sale of a $65 million pool of performing and nonperforming mortgage loans and foreclosed real estate.