For nearly thirty years, Ms. Krasny has served as a trusted advisor to some of the world’s leading brands. She contributes to clients’ business strategies by developing and implementing programs to build global trademark portfolios, reduce the risk of infringements and increase the value of companies’ intellectual property assets. Ms. Krasny has extensive experience representing clients in a variety of industries, including, consumer products, apparel, food and beverage, hospitality, insurance, financial and professional services, technology, trade associations and non-profits.
Ms. Krasny also assists companies with the evaluation, negotiation and documentation of the intellectual property aspects of commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, investments, global restructurings and special situations. She works with clients to monetize their brands through licensing programs, counsels clients on social media issues and conducts legal review of advertising and promotional materials.
The controversy side of Paula’s practice involves resolving trademark infringement, counterfeiting, false advertising, unfair competition, copyright infringement, and cybersquatting disputes through a variety of means, including litigation, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings, ICANN proceedings, negotiated settlements, consumer and employee awareness programs and collaborating with U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Ms. Krasny also serves as Independent Counsel to the Business Conduct Committee of a well-known financial exchange.
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® Rating (highest possible rating) in the Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory based on peer review by lawyers and judges
- “Woman of Achievement” Anti-Defamation League (Chicago/Midwest Chapter) – Honor given to female executives for their civic contributions, 2011
- “The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals” World Trademark Review, 2017
- “Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law” Euromoney Legal Media Group, 2015-2017, 2010-2012
- “Guide to the World’s Leading Trademark Lawyers” Euromoney Legal Media’s Group, 2018, 2016, 2000-2012
- Top 100 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2008-2010
- Top 100 Women Lawyers in Illinois, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2005-2008
- Illinois Leading Lawyer – IP and Advertising, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network, 2016, 2005-2012
Representative Experience & Transactions
- Served as lead IP strategist and negotiator enabling international household products direct sales company to increase distribution channels, product offerings and revenues through $650 million acquisition of direct sales beauty and personal care products business operating in 18 countries.
- Liaised between global IP and tax departments of multinational food manufacturing company, outside legal counsel and outside tax advisors on global restructuring plan with projected cumulative annualized savings of $1.4 billion and over 70% reduction in effective European tax rate to ensure congruity between corporate tax and IP objectives.
- Provided strategic business, legal and branding counsel and lead IP negotiations for acquisition of distressed U.S. apparel brand from private equity firm by German and Hong Kong controlled company.
- Guided executive team of U.S. footwear company in formation and successful implementation of global trademark registration, enforcement and protection program to allow for international distribution of branded product and line extension through trademark licensing.
- Devised and implemented strategies enabling privately held multinational company to secure and enforce trade dress protection for famous product configuration.
- Formulated and coordinated successful trademark clearance and registration program for multinational service company undergoing global rebranding campaign in over 35 countries.
- Served as IP strategist to various closely-held companies to build brand equity to increase overall enterprise value of company.
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Practicing Law Institute, “Advanced Business Issues in Trademark Licensing,” Advanced Licensing Agreements 2017, Chicago, IL, May 11, 2017
- Chicago Women in IP, “Personal Branding Strategies for Women in IP: Differentiating Yourself from the Competition,” Chicago, IL, October 6, 2015
- International Trademark Association, “Developing and Enforcing Policies Globally for Branding and Social Media,” Chicago, IL, October 4, 2013
- American Apparel and Footwear Association, “Building and Safeguarding Brand Integrity in the Face of a Distressed Economy, Restructurings, Mergers and Consolidations,” New York, NY, October 1, 2010
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2010 Southwest Bankruptcy Conference, “Intersections Between Intellectual Property Assets & Distressed Company Restructurings and Bankruptcy,” Las Vegas, NV, September 24, 2010
- Global Transfer Pricing Workshop: Planning and Defending Transfer Pricing Strategies in Turbulent Times, “Implementing Transfer Pricing Structures,” Redwood City, CA, June 19, 2009
- Asociación Interamericana de la Propiedad Intelectual (ASIPI), “El Derecho Anglosajón Estará Rompiendo la Estabilidad del Derecho Civil a Través de los Tratados de Libre?,” Cartagena, Colombia, December 2007
When not practicing law, Paula is practicing yoga, studying improv at iO or Second City or traveling.