Ned Barlas is an attorney with the firm’s Business/Corporate and Intellectual Property (IP) practice groups, where he focuses on structuring and negotiating corporate, commercial and IP-related transactions, strategic IP counseling and global trademark protection. Ned previously spent 15 years as an IP transactional attorney with a prestigious international law firm, representing domestic and foreign companies.
Ned leverages his years of in-house counsel experience, including as general counsel for a public software company and as corporate counsel for a leading pharmaceutical packaging company, to provide timely, results-oriented service to meet his clients’ business objectives.
In addition to representing commercial businesses, Ned has counseled numerous non-profit organizations in strategic transactions. Ned has also served as a volunteer child advocate for the Support Center for Child Advocates and as a volunteer attorney for RAICES, representing detained Central American women and children refugees seeking asylum in the United States.
Early in his career Ned was a corporate associate with a large Philadelphia law firm and an IP licensing, copyright and trademark attorney with a prominent IP boutique law firm.
Ned received his J.D in 1990 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he served as comment editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He received his B.A. in economics from Swarthmore College in 1985. He is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar and has been selected by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) for the 2017 and 2018 editions of IAM Strategy 300, a publication featuring the world’s top IP strategists.
- Serving as outside general counsel to a 50+ year-old direct-to-consumer home products company, a boutique toy store chain and a national cosmetics manufacturer
- Representing one of the world’s leading manufacturers of computer memory and digital media products in connection with numerous strategic transactions
- Representing one of the world’s largest petroleum companies in a multibillion-dollar, cross-border joint venture for upstream oil and gas research and development
- Representing a Russian private equity company in a cross-border acquisition of a silicon wafer fab among parties in Russia, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States
- Representing a commercial communications satellite start-up in connection with the licensing of its core technology from a leading government defense contractor
- Representing a Chinese conglomerate in a cross-border license of technology for the design and installation of long-span industrial and commercial buildings
- Representing an industry-leading software company in a spinoff to one of the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturers
- Representing a leading mobile device manufacturer in transactions with movie studios and wireless carriers for the distribution of video content on its mobile devices
- Representing a major automobile manufacturer in the development, deployment and licensing of an automotive telematics program
- Representing an industry-leading printing-ink manufacturer in a joint venture among parties in China, Germany and the United States
- Representing a German conglomerate in the licensing of core technology to one of Mexico’s leading mobile phone service providers
- Representing various investors and investment funds in connection with the acquisitions of patent royalty streams and IP asset-backed securities
- Negotiating numerous software license agreements and cloud computing agreements on behalf of both vendors and customers
- Representing national and multinational corporations in the successful defense of software compliance audits
Ned’s community activities have included:
- Licensing Executives Society (served in numerous leadership roles at the local, national and international levels, including as a member of the Board of Trustees, as VP-International, and as chair of numerous committees)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (former member, IP Licensing and Standards Setting Committees)
- America-Israel Chamber of Commerce—Central Atlantic Region (former board member)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (former chair, Advanced Technology & Computers Committee)
- Mid-Atlantic District Export Council (former member, by appointment of the U.S. Secretary of Commerce)