Named one of the leading bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in California and Delaware by Chambers USA, Mette has a reputation for providing unwavering and dogged representation in sophisticated workouts, restructurings, distressed M&A transactions and bankruptcy matters to help ensure her clients attain the best possible outcome.
Clients have praised Mette’s skill in the insolvency world, referring to her as “a pit bull in heels” and a “rock-hard…negotiator.” Others note Mette is:
- “Very direct, has a plan of action and goes on the attack with it.”
- “A dynamic attorney. She is smart and thinks outside the box.”
- “Professional, articulate and one of the brightest bankruptcy attorneys I know.”
- “An extremely skilled bankruptcy attorney who has the ideal balance of being technically skilled and practically balanced, always with one eye on delivering value to her clients.”
- A “tireless and creative” advocate.
- “Particularly effective and rare as an attorney due to her experience and people skills in navigating tricky distressed investing deals.”
Mette has gained a reputation for successfully and smoothly handling confrontational negotiations and challenging situations in her client representations. Recognizing the importance of conflict resolution, Mette completed the American Bankruptcy Institute/St. John’s University School of Law Bankruptcy Mediation Training Program in 2018 and now also serves as a mediator.
Mette practiced at various pre-eminent bankruptcy boutiques and national law firms before joining Culhane Meadows. Before practicing law, Mette was a Bank Liquidation Specialist with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. Her family also owed and operated an Irish pub in Delaware, giving her a unique perspective on the restaurant industry.
Mette regularly speaks for industry groups and client programs. Mette has been deeply involved with the national Turnaround Management Association, serving previously on its national Board of Directors and Executive Committee, as Vice President of Conferences, as Vice President of Communications, and in numerous other national and local leadership positions. Mette has also served in leadership roles with the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Financial Lawyers Conference, the California Bankruptcy Forum and Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, and the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Conference (IWIRC).
Awards & Recognitions:
- Named as one of the leading Bankruptcy/Restructuring attorneys in California by Chambers USA(2013-2014, 2016-2018) and in Delaware (2019)
- Received honorable mention for the Asset Sale of the Year Award from the American Bankruptcy Institute (2019)
- Named among “The Best Lawyers in America” in the area of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2009-2019)
- Named to the list of “Super Lawyers” for Bankruptcy: Business in Southern California(2009-2019)
- Named in Southern California Women’s Edition SuperLawyers (2017-2018)
- Named in Super Lawyers“Top Female Attorneys” in Southern California (2015-2017)
- Los Angeles Business Journal’s Women Making a Difference Award Nominee (2015)
- Recognized by The Daily Journal as One of the Top Women Lawyers in California (2011, 2012 and 2013)
- Recipient of the “Transaction of the Year: Mid-Sized Company” award by the Turnaround Management Association in connection with her representation of the Contessa creditors’ committee (2012)
- Received M&A Advisor’s “Turnaround Award of the Year Award – Lower Middle Market” in connection with her representation of The Walking Company
Her clients hail from a range of industries – including retail, restaurant, fitness, manufacturing, import and distribution, agriculture, financial services, health care, real estate, and media and entertainment – and have ranged from debtors and investors to creditors and creditor committees as well as parties involved in bankruptcy-related litigation.
The Bottom Line Blog – A Business Bankruptcy Blog. In Plain English.
Bottom line threats and opportunities come in many shapes and sizes. This blog cuts through the legalese to provide you with information about important business bankruptcy issues and developments that can help protect your bottom line.
Mette also been actively involved in numerous community efforts with a particular focus on organizations and causes that promote women. She assisted the Jubilee Campaign in securing scholarships for Nigerian schools who escaped from Boko Harem to continue their studies in the United States. She served on the resource board of the Sojourn Shelter for battered women. In 2008, she helped raise more than $25,000 for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. And in 2003, Mette’s family was recognized by the City of Los Angeles as the North Hollywood YMCA’s “Family of the Year” in recognition of the assistance they provided to the financially troubled North Hollywood facility and their successful efforts to prevent the closure of the highly respected YMCA preschool.