Mr. Davie joins Culhane Meadows directly from his position as Senior Counsel in the Corporate and Insurance Regulatory and Transactional Departments of Locke Lord LLP. Throughout his legal career, Mr. Davie has navigated U.S. and international companies of all sizes through a variety of corporate, transactional, business law, insurance, regulatory and compliance and privacy issues, gaining valuable experience as in-house counsel for financial institutions, including four years as in-house counsel for several multinational subsidiaries of one of Canada’s “Big 6” banks. As a result of Mr. Davie’s extensive experience, he is highly proficient at negotiating, structuring and drafting documents for a variety of complex and unique corporate transactions and anticipates legal and compliance issues before they arise, developing innovative approaches to enable clients to achieve their business objectives.
Mr. Davie practices in the following highly regulated industries.
- Financial Institutions. Mr. Davie’s stints as in-house counsel for financial institutions have given him substantial experience representing financial institutions in documenting various credit facilities, advising financial institutions, mortgage and reverse mortgage companies as to compliance and regulation (including Reg. Z (TILA), UDAAP, Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act), forming banks and various consumer lending companies, advising as to electronic payments and prepaid debit cards (including compliance with NACHA Rules, Reg. E, PCI DSS, and payment card rules), drafting and negotiating service agreements and other business contracts, and representing clients before various federal and state banking agencies.
- Insurance. Mr. Davie also represents insurance and insurance related companies, advising as to compliance and insurance regulation (including state insurance laws and PPACA), assisting with entity formation and licensing, drafting and negotiating documents for transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, drafting insurance policy forms and related documents, and representing clients before state insurance regulators. In particular, Mr. Davie represents life and health insurers, property and casualty insurers, captive insurers, surplus lines insurers, insurance agents and agencies, third party administrators, premium finance companies, life settlement providers, life settlement brokers, online insurance aggregators, online insurance and life settlement marketplaces, and warranty and extended service contract providers. Mr. Davie has been listed in A.M. Best’s Directory of Recommended Insurance Professionals based upon client recommendations.
- Healthcare. Additionally, Mr. Davie represents healthcare companies in a variety of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions and the negotiation and drafting of managed care contracts.
- Privacy. Mr. Davie develops and improves privacy and data security compliance programs for numerous technology, financial institution, consumer finance, financial services, payment processing, insurance, insurance related, and healthcare companies by advising as to US privacy related laws (FTC Red Flag Rules, HIPAA, GLBA, FCRA, FACTA, COPPA, FCC Do-Not-Call, and CAN-SPAM), EU’s Data Directive, and Canada’s PIPEDA, and drafting business associate agreements. Additionally, Mr. Davie assists clients with state specific data breach laws and reportable incidents.
Awards & Recognitions
- Law clerk to Justice Sue E. Myerscough, Illinois Fourth District Appellate Court (currently U.S. District Court Judge for the Central District of Illinois)
- Law clerk to Judge David C. Buckingham, Kentucky Court of Appeals
- Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Articles Editor
- Order of Barristers, Inductee
- Richard E. Richman Ethics Award
Selected Presentations & Publications
- “11th Circ. Pushback Against GA Prompt Pay Statute,” Law360, Co-author.
- “Eleventh Circuit Rules Georgia Prompt Pay Statutes Cannot Be Enforced Against Self-Funded ERISA Health Plans,” American Bar Association Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter, Co-Author.
- “Georgia Office of Insurance Commissioner Issues Bulletin Clarifying That Inspection Policies Issued to Owners of Boiler and Pressure Vessels Constitutes Insurance,” Federation of Regulatory Counsel Alert, Co-author.
Mr. Davie has a background in vocal music and operatic studies, having taken private studio lessons and masterclasses from former Metropolitan Opera performers and even serving as an adjunct professor of vocal music at an Illinois college. Because that was a lifetime ago, Mr. Davie now settles for exposing his two sons to various musical and stage performances, which they love (that and baseball).