Joe Bogdan is an experienced executive and lawyer who for more than twenty years has been at the forefront of developments in intellectual property and the businesses that rely upon it. He strives to address the legal needs of entrepreneurial clients, both individual and corporate, and both large and small, by providing the maximum value for the fewest dollars, and he is committed to providing legal services and achieving results that are both fairly priced and exceed clients’ expectations. Joe provides comprehensive intellectual property law services, including: trademark and copyright prosecution; trade secret protection; patent, trademark and copyright licensing; intellectual property counseling; and internal intellectual property audits and external intellectual property due diligence.
He also provides a broad array of legal services under the “corporate” banner, including everything from the formation and periodic maintenance of closely held businesses to sophisticated merger and acquisition activity for publicly traded companies and other related transactions (e.g., shareholder agreements, employment contracts, and office and equipment leases). Joe also represents companies of all sizes with information technology and software legal advice and services, including representing and advising both software vendors and other IT, internet and cloud service providers and the users of their products and services in a wide variety of contractual and intellectual property matters. With extensive experience in the live events, music, motion picture/television, publishing, consumer products and video game industries, Joe also provides a unique depth of insight into legal matters relating to entertainment and media. Finally, Joe handles all facets of civil litigation in state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations, for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Representative Experience & Transactions
- Representing one of the highest-selling musical acts of all time regarding the rights issues raised by the live webcast of their concerts.
- Providing strategic advice and contract terms to a global leader in media and entertainment regarding the adequacy of earthly laws and licenses for the use of its intellectual property in space.
- Leading an aggressive, 18 month intellectual property acquisition strategy for a NASDAQ company.
- Representing an American multinational publicly held technology corporation headquartered in New York, as a part of a team responsible for managing an acquisition strategy targeted towards acquiring a variety of assets with an aggregate value of $2 billion over a period of two years.
- Representing a leading, global consulting firm with respect to both its marketing activities and its corporate events.
- Representing the leader in entertainment industry merchandising with respect to nationwide temporary restraining/seizure orders relating to counterfeit goods infringing trademarks.
Selected Presentations & Publications
- “How to Get Loans and Investments, or Sell Your Business”, (July 12, 2017. City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Business Education Workshops, Chicago, Illinois.
- “How to Get Loans and Investments, or Sell Your Business”, (June 22, 2017) LaGrange Park Chamber of Commerce, LaGrange Park, Illinois.
- “Digital Music Sampling: Back in ‘Vogue’ After the 9th Circuit Madonna Ruling?”, (June 9, 2017) University of Dayton School of Law 27th Annual Program in Law and Technology (PILT) Seminar, University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio.
- “Arrow Straight: Success of Vans Warped Tour”. (March 17, 2017) South by Southwest Music Festival, Austin, Texas.
- “Lights, Camera, Legal Action”. (April 9, 2016) Chicago Filmmakers, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Section 203 Copyright Recapture Terminations”. (March 16, 2016) South by Southwest Music Festival, Austin, Texas”
- Bogdan, Joe. Review: “Lyman, Kevin. The New Music Biz: Bands, Brands, Managers, & Tours (Video Series).” MEIEA Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2016.
- Bogdan, Joe. Review: “Leavens, Thomas R. Music Law for the General Practitioner.” MEIEA Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2016.
- Bogdan, Joe, with Ravanas, Philippe. “The Second City on tier pricing or how to ask simple questions.” ThinkingAboutPricing.com. March 28, 2016.
- Bogdan, Joe. “Ten Reasons Authors Aren’t Retaking Their Copyrights”. Billboard Magazine, December 11, 2015.
- “Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for the Visual Arts”. (November 9, 2015) Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, Illinois.
- Bogdan, Joe. “The Little Law that Could (and Probably Will): Section 203 Copyright Recapture Terminations in America”. American Journal of Arts Management, November 2015.
- “Chaos & Copyrights: Clearing Up the ‘Blurred Lines’ of Infringement in Williams v. Bridgeport”, (November 3, 2015) University of Dayton School of Law 2015 Program in Law and Technology (PILT) Scholarly Symposia Series, University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio.
- Bogdan, Joe, with Ravanas, Philippe. “The Second City is first in creative Entrepreneurship”. International Journal of Arts Management, Vol. 17, No. 3 (Spring 2015).
- “The Human Side of Intellectual Asset Management”. (February 24, 2015) Illinois Institute of Technology Master’s Program in Intellectual Property Management & Markets, Chicago, Illinois.
Joe is a two-time Ironman finisher, and, if his knees cooperate, he hopes to make that three.