James Mayor assists clients with mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, corporate governance and general corporate matters. He has represented clients in the energy services, oil and gas exploration and production, engineering and construction, chemical and mining and metals industries, among others.
At the University of Texas School of Law, he was a member of Order of the Coif and Chancellors and served as the Book Review Editor for the Texas Law Review.
A transactional lawyer for over 22 years, and cited in the Legal 500 U.S. (2009) for his “responsiveness and judgment,” James has a particular wealth of experience analyzing, structuring, negotiating and executing highly complex M&A transactions.
Here are some representative examples of his prior experience:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Vectren Corporation－$6 billion merger with CenterPoint Energy, Inc.
- McDermott International, Inc.－$6 billion combination with Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V.
- Westar Energy, Inc.－$14 billion combination with Great Plains Energy Incorporated
- Transocean Inc.－$58 billion combination with GlobalSantaFe Corporation
- Transocean Inc.－$9 billion acquisition of R&B Falcon Corporation
- Transocean Ltd.－$1.1 billion sale of 38 drilling rigs to a private equity group
- Transocean Ltd.－acquisition of Transocean Partners LLC
- J. Ray McDermott, S.A.－acquisition of the assets of Secunda International Limited; disposition of Secunda charter fleet
- McDermott International, Inc.－sale of Hudson Products Corporation; sale of McDermott Engineers & Constructors (Canada) Ltd.; acquisition of Deepsea Group Limited
- BWX Technologies, Inc.－acquisitions of Marine Mechanical Corporation and Nuclear Fuel Services, Inc.
- Special Committee of Plains Resources Inc.－acquisition by a group led by Paul G. Allen and members of management
- An acquisition of an oil and gas measurement manufacturing business
- A $200 million disposition of oil and gas properties
- McDermott International, Inc. – private placement of $300 million of preferred stock and warrants
- McDermott International, Inc. – offering of $1.3 billion of senior notes
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. – private placement of $250 million of preferred stock and warrants
- McDermott International, Inc.－$287.5 million public offering of tangible equity units; offering of $300 million of second lien secured notes
- Transocean Ltd.－$2.0 billion public offering of senior notes
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc.－$400 million offering of senior notes
- Transocean Inc.－$6.6 billion public offering of convertible notes and $2.5 billion public offering of senior notes
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc.－$373 million public offering of convertible notes
- Edge Petroleum Corporation－$138 million public offering of common stock and $138 million public offering of convertible perpetual preferred stock
- Westlake Chemical Corporation－$170.6 million initial public offering; $250 million senior notes offering; $172 million secondary public offering for a selling stockholder
- Transocean Inc.－$1 billion public offering of floating rate notes; $258.3 million secondary public offering of shares of TODCO; $242.3 million secondary public offering of shares of TODCO; exchange offers for $1.48 billion of notes; $400 million convertible debentures offering; $1.3 billion senior notes offering; $500 million zero coupon convertible debentures offering
- J. Ray McDermott, S.A.－$200 million senior secured notes offering; tender offer for senior secured notes
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc.－$575 million exchange offer for convertible notes
- TODCO－separation from Transocean Inc. and $165.5 million initial public offering; $269.9 million secondary public offering
- Non-U.S. company－$377 million private placement of notes
- Transocean Ltd.－redomestication to Switzerland
- McDermott International, Inc.－spin-off of The Babcock & Wilcox Company
- McDermott International, Inc.－settlement of chapter 11 proceedings involving The Babcock & Wilcox Company
James loves to travel with his wife and three daughters in his free time.