James W. Maxson is a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Business Services group where his areas of focus include insurance-linked securities, mergers and acquisitions, private placements, general corporate matters, insurance regulatory issues and life settlements.
Mr. Maxson serves clients in all aspects of insurance-linked securities and insurance capital markets. He has performed extensive work in the areas of licensing, regulatory compliance, fund structuring and portfolio acquisitions.
Mr. Maxson worked for four years as the Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Acting Chief Operating Officer of a leading life settlement provider company where he was responsible for all compliance and legal matters, including interpretation of legislative and regulatory requirements and compliance with securities law. Mr. Maxson was previously a senior associate at a large international law firm where he practiced in the areas of securities and mergers and acquisitions. He also clerked for the Honorable Alice M. Batchelder on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. Maxson is a frequent presenter on topics related to the life settlement industry. He is also active with the Life Insurance Settlement Association (“LISA”), the oldest and largest association representing the life settlement industry, and is a member of LISA’s Legal Committee.
Awards & Recognitions
- Board of Directors, Life Insurance Settlement Association (LISA)
- Deputy Chair of the European Life Settlement Association (ELSA) (2015); Executive Committee (2012, 2013 & 2014)
- Selected, Georgia Trend magazine’s Legal Elite (2012)
- Selected, Most Influential People by the Life Settlement Review (2009)
- Represented Luxembourg-based funds in portfolio acquisitions.
Structured debt issuance by an Irish Section 110 company.
Negotiated numerous origination agreements between providers and funding sources.
Represented Broker-Dealers and Registered Investment Advisers in negotiation of Marketing Agreements.
Assisted with structuring international funds for investment in life settlement assets.
Prepared private placement memoranda for institutional and retail investment in insurance-linked securities.
Assisted in structuring separate account and drafting prospectus for private placement of variable universal life insurance.
Represented providers in negotiations with state insurance departments.
Represented private equity funds in acquisition of portfolios of life settlement policies.
Selected Presentations & Publications
- 19th Annual Fall Life Settlement Conference October 9th, 2013
- Third Annual ELSA Investor Summit September 25th, 2013
- ELSA 2012 Investor Summit September 26th, 2012
- 2012 Insurance Forum with GA Attorney General Sam Olens July 12th, 2012
- Panelist, “Life Settlements as an Asset Class” – AALU Annual Conference April 30th, 2012
Private Placements and Life Settlement-Related Securities Webinar March 29th, 2011
- Recent Topics in Life Settlements November 17th, 2010
- SEC Eyes the Life Settlements Market September 22nd, 2009
- Life Settlements – After the Purchase September 10th, 2009
- Demystifying the Application of Securities Law to Life Settlements April 30th, 2009