Mr. Giles began his law career in Kyiv, Ukraine in international law, where he took on several roles including serving as a legal assistant, translator, and lawyer for Grischenko & Partners, as a partner for Frishberg & Partners, and legal counsel for Asters Law Firm (the largest firm in Ukraine and one of the top firms in Russia).
In Ukraine, Mr. Giles practiced at Asters (the largest firm in the country) and the transactions he worked on were primarily based on English or New York law utilizing the same norms and practices as U.S. firms. He regularly served as local counsel for AmLaw 100 firms with clients conducting business in Russia.
His present practice focuses on Eastern European matters relating to mergers and acquisitions, private equity, international investment, and dispute resolution. He represents clients and governmental entities in corporate and non-profit cross-border investment within the United States, Ukraine and Russia. His domestic practice focuses on real estate investments and transactions, as well as representing small to mid-cap companies in general corporate matters.
Awards & Recognitions
- IBA International Practice Diploma in International Capital Markets & Loans
Selected Presentations & Publications
- The Revised Equator Principles: A New Shift in Infrastructure Development in a Way That Is Compatible with Human Rights, LL.M. Thesis, Notre Dame Law School (May 2009).
- Cross-Border Transactions and Syndicated Loans in the Ukrainian Market, Presentation at the Ukrainian-American Bar Association Annual Conference (October 2008).
Representative Experience & Transactions
- Advised the consultants for a leading Ukrainian agribusiness in obtaining international financing for a sunflower seed oil processing plant.
- Assisted in raising $50 million for the construction of a spa and recreational facility in Western Ukraine.
- Represented a Ukrainian celebrity in obtaining an EB-1 visa for “extraordinary abilities.”
- Assisted in raising $300 million for the construction and implementation of two thermal power plants in Southern Ukraine.
- Assisted in the organization of a “road show” investment presentation at the Embassy of Ukraine in conjunction with the US-Ukraine Business Counsel.
- Represented Ukranian firm at USUBC meetings including a dinner in honor of the new Ukrainian Ambassador to the United States and the new Ukrainian military attaché to the US.
- Served as a delegate at the Ukrainian Investment Summit.
- Presented legal opinions in cross-border transactions at the Ukrainian American Bar Association Annual Conference.
- Advised Ukrainian attorneys on American State and Federal Legal matters.
- Facilitated the translation of law journal articles from Russian/Ukrainian into English for publication.
- Participated in international financial transactions and cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented clients on syndicated loans, EBRD/IFC loans, legal opinions, due diligence reports, project finance, and real estate transactions.
- Participated in international arbitration with Ukrainian attorneys to prepare cases for the International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes and the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce.
Christopher is very active in his school alumni associations, serving on the Michigan State University College of Law Alumni Board of Directors, assisting in the philanthropic activity of the Notre Club of New York City, and having been co-founder and president of the Georgetown Club of Ukraine. When not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Mary, and stepchildren, Harris and Lily.