Ms. Washelesky joined Culhane Meadows direct from her role as trademark chair of Reed Smith LLP’s Chicago office. Her practice focuses on trademark prosecution and marketing law. She advises clients, from small entrepreneurial start ups to large multi-national corporations, with regard to trademark clearance, trademark prosecution, international trademark strategy, trademark enforcement and dispute resolution. She drafts and negotiates contracts for trademark clients such as licenses and settlement agreements. She oversees due diligence on intellectual property for mergers and acquisitions. She drafts and negotiates contracts for ad agencies and marketing clients, such as international ad agency agreements. She provides copyright counselling services.
Awards & Recognitions
- AV Preeminent® Rating (highest possible rating) in the Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory based on peer review by lawyers and judges
- Recognized as Super Lawyer (a Thomson Reuters service) by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2006)
Representative Experience & Transactions
- As a Partner at Reed Smith, Angela was Chair of the Chicago Trademark Practice and oversaw a combined portfolio of 1800 marks.
- As Senior Counsel, Marketing Practices at Sears, Angela oversaw the negotiation of contracts for corporate sponsorships and event marketing, and the contracts related to the company’s many relationships with advertising agencies and PR firms. She helped ensure advertising was legal, substantiated and properly executed. She acted as legal liaison appointed to the Sears E-commerce team. She handled issues, laws and regulations related to deceptive pricing, advertising claim substantiation, privacy, intellectual property, right of publicity, telemarketing, sweepstakes, and other promotional devices such as coupons and rebates.
- As an attorney at Leo Burnett advertising agency, Angela handled legal issues relating to the advertising production and related contracts for companies such as Ameritech, Maytag, Procter & Gamble, Reebok, Sealy and United Airlines
- Board Member, Lawyers for the Creative Arts, a not-for-profit organization that provides legal services for needy artists (2006-2007)
- Copyright Society of the USA, Board of Trustees: 2004-2007; Chair of the Midwest Chapter: 2002-2004
Selected Presentations & Publications
Angela is a seasoned speaker and has spoken at many advertising law conferences and the ANA/Brand Activation Association, on such topics as “Retail Promotions,” “Internet Interactive Marketing: Avoiding Current and Emerging Legal Pitfalls,” and “Getting Behind the Gimmicks: How to Safely Use Promotional Devices in Advertising, On and Off the Web.” She has also taught Advertising Law at John Marshall Law School.
While not practicing law, Angela likes to take walks with her dog, go to live theatre, watch movies and TV shows with her family, travel, read books and attend cycling, yoga and meditation classes.